Problem gambling is one of the aspects to be treated additionally to carry on having pleasure out of the process instead of obtaining an addiction to suffer from. This is, indeed, one of the reasons why each of the online casinos (and the reviewer websites) should inform the potential gamblers about possible issues they may come across.
Gambling addiction is a type of psychological dependence consisting in the need for gambling against the background of a loss of interest in social, material and family values. Common disorders include casino games both online and offline.
The signs of gambling addiction can be diverse and not limited to the list below:
- The patient talks a lot about his favorite game, constantly thinks what to play
- The lack of desire to distract from the included game, aggressive behavior with forced suspension, emotional recovery when the game is resumed
- The loss of interest in food
- Inability to tell the exact time of completion of the game
- Reduced sleep period
- Refusal to observe personal hygiene rules, communication with family members and acquaintances
- The loss of interest in what was once a favorite pastime.
Hence, you can notice that every time when you start in gambling online or offline you should be careful not to harm yourself.
Susceptibility To Problem Gambling
In compliance with the 2016 study based on the gambling addiction and problem gambling, Gambling and Problem Gambling in the United States: Changes Between 1999 and 2013, by Welte et al., the gambling problems turned out to be more severe than by the beginning of the 21st century. The authors point out to the fact that with the growth of the population (by 34%) since 2000 and by the evolution of the mobile devices, the gambling problems are currently more acute than before.
The same study also tends to prove that the male population is much more vulnerable to the problem of gambling addiction. Herein, the reasons can be quite diverse, and the most prominent one is that these are the males who gamble twice more than females.
Bearing in mind that women tend to gamble 5,6% less than men (with the index of 82,4% for men and 76,5% for women), the gambling issues arise more frequently in men. The chart below would serve as a perfect example to illustrate the correlation of the problem gambling within the two genders in the USA.
As a result, it is evident that every time when starting in gambling, one should be aware of the possible consequences. From our part, we’re here to ensure the most effective ways on how to omit any gambling problems and, in case if you have some, how to overcome them.
Carry on reading the page and you will be informed on the possible ways to gamble successfully, fairly, and safely!
Gambling Addiction Stages
Gambling as a disease manifests itself in three successive stages.
- The First Stage. Strengthening the desire to play. They do not begin to fight gambling at this stage, since it manifests itself superficially. The motive “to gamble or not to gamble” is absent. A person can refuse to participate, even if he has a desire to play. Against the background of a lack of awareness of the development of addiction, the future gamer begins to play more often, each time he makes higher bets, unknowingly lengthens the sessions.
- The Second Stage. Forbid to play is difficult. Choosing between “gamble or not gamble”, one is increasingly inclined to the latter. The game gradually becomes rampant. There are thoughts of inevitable luck, faith in luck. Money wins are spent on new bets. Treatment of gambling as a disease at this stage is easy, but because of a lack of understanding of the current situation, gamblers are very rarely admitted to the doctor.
- The Third Stage. In psychological sources, the third stage of the disease of gambling is characterized by a photo of a person sitting at a computer monitor whose facial expression conveys the strongest emotional arousal. The game continues unlimited amount of time. During the ‘rest’ the patient thinks about his future steps on the playing field. The desire to play once again becomes irresistible. Money debts tend to appear. The treatment of addiction to gambling is very acute in the third stage.
If you have at least one of the symptoms depicted above, do not waste time and address the special doctors or centers to get the help.
The treatment of gambling in adults is complicated by the fact that most patients do not agree with their psychological dependence. At the initial stage, it is important that the gamer realizes that his addiction to gambling is painful. Among the effective treatments for gambling addiction:
- Taking medications. Medications aimed at stabilizing mood, and antidepressants suppress concomitant gambling problems – the syndrome of obsessive states, depression. It is impossible to completely cure gambling addiction, using only them. It is important to supplement the treatment with psychotherapy.
- Psychotherapy. According to reviews, treatment for gambling is effective if cognitive behavioral therapy is used. During it, a specialist teaches the patient the skills to suppress cravings for the game, teaches him how to focus on actions. Identified unhealthy and negative attitudes are replaced by positive, rational.
- Joining a mutual assistance group. During the meetings of “anonymous players”, discussions are held on how to get rid of gambling addiction. Community members share emotional experiences, challenges, and successes. They analyze how their lifestyle changes as they refuse to participate in gambling. Former gambling addicts are often invited to meetings who tell when and how they recovered from gambling addiction.
How to treat gambling in each individual patient, the doctor decides based on the results of the examination, the dominant symptoms. But even after completing the full course of treatment for addiction, a person can start playing again, especially if he maintains relations with players. If you have a strong desire to play, it is recommended that you immediately visit a therapist to prevent a return to addiction.
Organizations Dealing With Problem Gambling
To mitigate the problem gambling to the most possible extent, one can truly need some professional assistance. In the USA, there is a wide diversity of the councils and associations managing the issues related to the problem gambling. So, take a look at the most popular ones right in the text below.
National Council on Problem Gambling
The National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG) is one of the pioneers in dealing with the gambling-related addiction, and it has a plenty of the programs to assist the gamblers in the USA, including:
- National Problem Gambling Helpline
- Risk Education for Athletes Program (REAP)
- Responsible Gaming Principles for Sports Gambling Legislation
- Problem Gambling Awareness Month
- National Conference on Problem Gambling
- Internet Compliance Assessment Program (iCAP)
- Lottery Holiday Responsible Gaming Campaign
- NASPL/NCPG Responsible Gambling Verification Program (RGV).
NCPG is not only a psychological assistance provider but also an actor dealing with the juridical aspects of gambling to protect the US gamblers.
Other Problem Gambling Organizations
According to American Addiction Centers, there are different types of obtaining assistance to struggle against the gambling addiction, including:
- Individual therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral therapy
- Group therapy
- Family and couples counseling.
Literally, each of the methods is effective to a particular extent, and thus, there is a need to pick the most suitable one. To do so, one can easily attend the special associations and organizations to obtain the professional assistance.
The table below contains the names of the organizations and the state wherein they’re located. It’ll assist you navigate the list and pick up the best suiting one.
|Stop Predatory Gambling Foundation||Washington, DC|
|Nevada Council on Problem Gambling Inc||Las Vegas, NV|
|International Problem Gambling Center||Las Vegas, NV|
|Iowa Council On Problem Gambling||Burlington, IA|
|Life Treatment Centers Inc||South Bend, IN|
|VA Council On Problem Gambling||Richmond, VA|
|Indiana Council On Compulsive Gambling Inc||Fort Wayne, IN|
|End Problem Gambling||Sisters, OR|
|Minnesota Council On Addictions||Duluth, MN|
So, it is obvious that in case you have any troubles related to problem gambling in the USA, you can easily obtain the most qualified assistance. Don’t be ashamed or afraid of doing that: your future is always in your hands!
In case if you notice any of the symptoms we communicated in the text, you should immediately call for help. You can do it locally (by accessing any of the sites we have pointed out) or go visit the special web-based sources. We’re sure you’ll have success in overcoming the problem.
As for us, you can also direct some of the issues you have to us to discuss. Mitigation of problem gambling is not that easy as one can think.